Very often, our world seems so full of bad news - murders and tragedies and pain.
I read something recently that said that we’ve never been exposed to so much bad news.
We’re surrounded by it: news updates on our phones... pop-ups on websites... comments from other people… it’s never-ending!
Did you hear about that gang killing?
Did you hear about that child rapist?
Did you hear about that train crash?
And it’s so easy to get down about all of this.
Now, this is understandable - but I think we need an antidote for it.
I’m NOT saying these things aren’t important, or we shouldn’t pay them the respect they deserve.
Far from it.
What I am saying is that today’s news is generally sensationalist.
And if you’re feeling that the world is going to shit, I want to give you an alternative view, and a short exercise...
Take a block of time – let’s say half an hour. (Which, incidentally, is plenty of time for goals and projects!)
If you live in a town or city, look out the window. If you live in a quiet place, do this activity in a busy place like a coffee shop.
Take a look at the people going about their business.
What do you see?
When I did this activity, I saw:
‘Cause here’s the thing. Life is generally pretty comfortable where most of us have the privilege to live.
(I know it’s not the same in other parts of the world - but this isn’t a post about that today.)
The majority of the time, life carries itself along nicely.
People do their thing, and go about their daily tasks. They buy groceries, and they go to the movies, and they see their friends.
So whenever you’re feeling like the world is going to shit, remember to look outside:
Do you see con-men and murder and chaos?
Or do you see "general life" ticking along?
I’m NOT saying that bad things don’t happen, and I’m not saying we shouldn’t pay attention to them.
But if the news is getting you down, take a minute to look around and focus on what is really going on.
The bad news we see is 1% of what goes on (probably much less).
And you can focus on that terrifying, less-than-1%… or you can focus on the other positive 99%.
What does it make more sense to do?
I send love and heartfelt wishes to everyone affected by a tragedy… but I won't let a tiny minority affect my view of the world. Will you join me? :)
PS - I don’t watch or listen to the news anymore. I stopped a few years ago – and realized that I hadn't missed anything at all. (It’s not part of my job, so I have that luxury.) But the funny thing is that people don't update you on "real" news; the only thing people update me on are train crashes and celebrity deaths… Just think for a minute if that’s the news you need to know ;)